Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and although buying pre-packaged mini valentines may be a great timesaver for classroom parties, those closest to us deserve something from the heart. Handmade cards can be such a joy to receive, but anyone who knows a thing or two about papercrafting knows that they can be time consuming! I’m here to show you how simple it is (with step-by-step instructions!) to create mini valentines this year, with just a few Elle’s Studio products!
These sweet 3″ x 4″ cards were completed in less than an hour, using these Elle’s Studio products, along with white cardstock.
Supplies (from left to right) | Puffy Heart Stickers, Acrylic Frosted Hearts, Valentine Banner Stickers, Love You Journaling Tags, XO Stickers, All My Heart Stamp, Love Ya Wood Veneer Circles. Other supplies: January 2017 Exclusive Kit, Sequins- Love Mix, baker’s twine
I started out with a single sheet of 12″ x 12″ white cardstock, cut into 6 equal pieces of 4″ x 6″. I folded these in half with a bone folder to create six 3″ x 4″ folded cards. From here, I grabbed the Love You Journaling Tags, and used six different designs to create the card fronts. The great thing about these tags is that you receive two designs of each tag, so using slightly different embellishment, you could actually make 12 of these little cards. I used these steps to complete each card:
“XO” Card Instructions:
1. Cut out the center of the heart on the 3″ x 4″ heart tag in the Love You Journaling Tags
2. Back the heart cutout with clear acetate. (Tip: If you don’t have acetate sheets, look for a piece of acetate that you can recycle from product packaging!)
3. Line the back side of the cutout heart with a line of dimensional adhesive, being sure that there aren’t any gaps around the heart. Add dimensional adhesive to the four corners of the 3″ x 4″ tag.
4. Pour a few sequins inside the heart cutout. Remove the backing from the dimensional adhesive and adhere the folded cardstock card to the card front.
5. Turning the card back over, adhere the “always + forever” tag from the January 2017 Exclusive Kit and the “XO” from the XO Stickers.
“You Are So Very Loved” Card Instructions:
1. Adhere the “you are so very loved” tag from the Love You Journaling Tags to the front of the 3″ x 4″ folded card.
2. Add the large red heart puffy sticker from the Puffy Heart Stickers to the bottom of the sentiment.
“Love You x A Million” Card Instructions:
1. Stamp the “love you” sentiment in black and the “x a million” sentiment in red from the All My Heart Stamp to the striped 3″ x 4″ tag from the Love You Journaling Tags
2. Tie a piece of teal twine around the tag.
3. Adhere teal and purple puffy heart stickers from the Puffy Heart Stickers, and a large red acrylic heart from the Acrylic Frosted Hearts
4. Adhere the tag front onto the 3″ x 4″ folded cardstock card.
“You Are Awesome, Fun, Important, Loved.” Card Instructions:
1. Cut the heart border from the “hugs and kisses” 4″ x 6″ tag in the Love You Journaling Tags, being sure to keep the “hugs and kisses” words intact. (We will use these later!) Adhere this strip to the bottom of the “XO” 3″ x 4″ tag.
2. Stamp the sentiment words from the All My Heart Stamp with black, teal, pink, purple and red ink onto smooth, white cardstock. Cut each word out with scissors and adhere to the card front.
3. Adhere three Puffy Heart Stickers to the card front around the sentiment.
“Because I Love You” Card Instructions:
1. Adhere the “Because I Love You” 3″ x 4″ tag from the Love You Journaling Tags to the front of the 3″ x 4″ folded cardstock card.
2. Add the “always and forever” sticker from the Valentine Banner Stickers below the sentiment.
3. Adhere a wood veneer circle heart from the Love Ya Wood Veneer Circles, a red Puffy Heart Sticker and a purple Acrylic Frosted Heart. (Tip: Clear, liquid adhesive, or clear glue dots are great for adhering these acrylic hearts.)
4. Punch the hole at the top of the tag through the card front using a standard hole punch. Tie baker’s twine through the hole.
“We Go Together Like Hugs & Kisses” Card Instructions:
1. Adhere the “too cute” tag from the January 2017 Exclusive Kit to the back of the “we go together like” tag from the Love You Journaling Tags at the upper right corner.
2. Cut out the words “hugs” and “kisses” from the 4″ x 6″ tag in the Love You Journaling Tags. Adhere this to the front of the “we go together like” tag using dimensional adhesive. Adhere card front to the folded cardstock card.
3. Adhere Love Mix Sequins and Puffy Heart Stickers around the sentiment.
You may be wondering, “How will I find envelopes for these cards?” These are simple and easy to make too, with a scoring board. Simply cut a piece of cardstock to a 6-1/2″ square, then using the image below as a guide, score the “A” lines at 2-3/8″ and the B lines at 3″.
Handmade simple, sweet cards are made easy with Elle’s Studio products! Be sure to pick up yours today, and get a jump on your valentines!